This morning as I lay in my bed, Zach snuggled up next to me and turned on his DS. He was playing for a few minutes before he said "Mom, I'm doing good on my test, right?" (never looking up from his game). I started laughing and told him I wasn't testing him on his ability to pass Super Mario Brothers. He then briefly looked up and said "No silly. I mean my test, you know, my TEST?" I was totally stunned. I knew then what he was talking about. And as I got all choked up I replied, "Yes Zach. You are doing VERY good on your Test and Heavenly Father would be so proud of you." I'm so blessed to have Zach. I often feel accomplished when I show him how to tie his shoe or sound out a difficult word, but honestly... They have taught me more than I have ever taught them in the short time since they were given to me. What a wonderful beginning to my conference weekend.
In case you are wondering... About 2 years ago or so, I wanted to explain to Zach the importance of our short time here on earth, and what Heavenly Father expected from us. That this is just a small part of the BIG plan. I also wanted him to be aware of Satan and know that he could never hurt us unless you let him, because sometimes kids associate Satan with someone who could physically hurt us. After many explanations on my end and many confused looks on his end, I came up with The Test. I told him that we were sent here by our Father in Heaven as a Test. I told him that we CHOSE to come here and take this Test and that nobody made us come here. I remember telling him that sometimes people ask us to do things that we know is not right and that this is all part of The Test and he has to remember that it is a Test and to always do what's right so that we can pass our Test. I said that if we pass our Test our reward is to live with Heavenly Father forever in Heaven, and that this is the GREATEST reward, even better than "noodles and white sauce" (his favorite thing). For several weeks after that conversation, I would encourage Zach by telling him that he was doing great on his Test and other times trying to encourage him to think twice before doing something. It kind of lost momentum and months would go by before I would remember to remind him of The Test. I think the last time we talked about his Test was around his birthday in October. But as I look back, I believe that this is the best way for ME to teach my kids. I have renewed motivation now to teach this simple learning to Ava. Thanks Zach, I love you.
Faith in something greater than ourselves it enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain.
~President Gordon B. Hinckley





8 comments:
Oh that is so sweet!! What a cutie, I just love him!
I had forgotten about The Test. What a great lesson. I need to tell my kids about it.
You're such a great mom! I'm going to copy that word by word to teach to my kids... thanks! We need to get together... :)
That is the cutest thing I've ever heard. What a good boy, and what a great example of a Mama you are. We missed you at dinner last night. Hopefully next time. :)
Oh, and I think this should be my F.H.E. lesson for next week! Thanks Heid!! :)
That is so sweet. I think these little ones get it. They are so much more prepared that we were. They must be close to the spirt.
Very very sweet, it's amazing what we can LEARN from our little ones, isn't it???
So cute! I love kids and they say the darndest, funniest, silliest things, but this tops the cake!
Post a Comment